The Path to Success

How do you define Success? Clearly, not everyone has the same criteria for what Success is.

I had originally started this blog in response to the request by the company I work for to outline the steps I had taken to be successful in the position I am in. The path to doing a better job at what I am asked to do. The path to meeting my metrics.Success in the context of this business in particular is basically just doing what I'm supposed to do on a consistent basis. The request was not to outline a path to Excellence, or the steps taken to excel but rather to keep my job. I was over thinking the request.

When one sets out to build a paper airplane, say, and the paper airplane actually flies, that is a success. When one sets out to catch a fish and a fish is caught, that is to have succeeded. When one sets out to mow the lawn, and the lawn gets mowed, that was a success. The path to success, in the context of the request by the company I work for, is basically to pay attention to what I am doing with a minimum of errors while meeting the metrics that have been determined for the job I do. I get to work another day.

All that is required really, is a grade one professionalism, that is I get paid to do what I am asked. Anything else creates waves, and could even be construed as a criticism of the business.

Success in business is one thing, success in life is something completely different.

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."
-Albert Einstein

No comments: